Thursday, November 15, 2007

Snow


So, I woke up this morning to find a beautiful blanket of snow outside (2-3 inches). In fact, it's still kind of snowing. It's one of those times when you're glad to look at it, but you just hope that you don't have to be out in it for too long. :)
Andre and I have been very busy the past couple of days, running as many errands as we could get done and preparing in anyway we saw for the baby. Andre bought snow tires for the car and is having them put on today, just in time. I put sheets on the baby's bed and packed my bag for the hospital. We cleaned the apartment and did laundry. It was just a few days of focused preparation. I must say that I feel more ready to go into labor now than before.
I still don't really know quite how I feel about the whole thing, but I can picture the baby here now, more than I could before. I don't really know if it will come this week, but if it doesn't, at least we were shocked into action to prepare for it.
I was reminded today about an update that I'd written a while ago, about a storm and how I felt like before we got Nikita I could see the storm coming, but I had no idea how violent it was going to be. Well, now, after that storm seems to have subsided, I can safely say that I'm glad we went through it. Someone asked me if I was "just loving being a mom." My response is this. I do not love the responsibility of it all. That's kind of intense sometimes. But, I love Nikita, and he makes it all worth it. A few nights ago, we had a talk, after some misbehaving. Andre and I both reassured Nikita that this is it. That we are his daddy and mommy, and he's going to live with us forever. It was interesting to see the difference in his attitude after that. He's been trying so hard to listen, to be a good boy, etc. You can see the peace and comfort on his face and in his actions. It's like the little things aren't as important, because he can see a bigger picture. Now, I know he's only 5, so maybe he can't articulate all of these things, but I still believe that he feels them very deeply.
All that to say, it reminds me of being adopted by God. Now that I have that bigger picture, that greater security, he can take away things or allow hardships and trials to come, but I can endure much easier and with peace, because I can see that there's something much greater than what's happening this present moment. I am so thankful that I am a child of God!

1 comment:

lp said...

beautiful.

i can't believe it snowed already... seeing it's 70 degrees here. when it was 60 i turned the heat on full blast in my car. um...i might not survive living north of here.

i'm excited for you guys... and nikita was a super cute tomato. when i first read that blog i thought 'tomato' was slang for something...and i was all confused. But...he was actually a tomato. fantastic.